27 July 2010

Ate is the term Filipinos use to address their older sister(s). I have an ate, Ate Joy, and well, she's my only sister. I call her my favorite sister and she calls me the same, too. LOL! We were born 6 years and 6 months apart. Growing up, we weren't really that close. She was closer to our brother while I, well, I was always the odd one out. LOL! I remember that the only time I opened up to her was when this guy friend of mine gave me a ring. I was a high school senior then. I didn't know what to do with the ring but I accepted it because the guy was my boyfriend (hahaha!). Since I didn't want to find out what my mom's reaction would be once she saw the ring, I had to tell my ate about it and asked her what I would do with the ring. Like a true ate, she took the ring from me and kept it for me until I had enough guts to tell my parents about it. That was the turning point of my relationship with my ate. We became closer.

That's her at the top and that's my latest picture on the bottom. I now officially love this latest picture of mine because my sister, mom and some of our cousins said I looked like my sister here.☺ That's a first.

When she left for the USA almost 7 years ago, my heart broke. It was like a part of me was being taken away out of my own volition. It was heart-shattering because it was the first time we'll be away from each other for God knows how long. I spent many nights crying myself to sleep after my ate left and my mom couldn't do anything about it. I was 27 then but I cried like a baby when she and her whole family left.

For right now my ate and I make do with phone calls, instant messaging and writing on each other's Facebook profile walls. I can't wait for the day when my ate and I can be together again. I'm hoping that day come sooner than soon.Oh by the way my dear sister, advanced happy 22nd wedding anniversary to you and your hubby!I love you both!☺

2 thoughts:

hi sis! sorry if i haven't been dropping by here at your blog. i was just taking some time off from the things that stressing me out.

advanced happy wedding anniversary to your ate!

i always wanted to have an ate:) i'm the eldest and the only girl among my siblings...i'm the ate. it would be nice to have that special bond among sisters. :)

take care bambie. xoxo

 

I want to know how exactly you pronounce "ate" ? :) I love the way you wrote about your sister. Quite influenced by your post, I treated my elder sister very nicely today. haahhaa =P

 

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! =)

Labels