03 February 2010


Last Monday evening all four of us (myself, my brother, my SIL and their 3-year old son) watched Daybreakers on DVD. It was a suspense-thriller starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill. It was a vampire movie so I was hooked from the get-go.

The premise was something foreign, to me at least. It was set in the year 2019 and during that time about 90% of the earth's population have already been turned into vampires and since the last remaining humans were diminishing fast, the vampires are about to face their biggest fear: BLOOD SHORTAGE. So they tried "farming" the humans that they already have in their possession while a vampire-cum-hematologist, portrayed by Ethan Hawke, was trying to come up with an able substitute for blood to meet the vampires' needs. Otherwise, if the vampires suffer from blood deprivation, they will evolve into wild, vicious creatures that would attack anyone and anything, fellow vampires included, in order to survive.

Incidentally, Ethan Hawke's character is sympathetic to humans since he was turned into a vampire against his will that's why he's trying to conjure a plan to find a blood substitute to alleviate the chances of humans falling prey to vampires. However, in Ethan's quest to find the perfect blood substitute, he stumbles upon something which was better than any blood substitute he can create - a chance to become HUMAN again.

The unusual plot got me focused on the story. Plus, I love Ethan Hawke so...and it was funny because even my 3-year old nephew was watching and he obviously could folow the story because he was asking questions. We can't force him to sleep because he loves watching scary movies.☺

I'm not sure if it's already been shown here in the Philippines. I'm not even sure if others who saw the film liked it, too. But I did that's why I thought of sharing it with the readers of this blog.☺

3 thoughts:

hi sis! my family loves to watch vampire movies. thanks for sharing info about this film...will look for a dvd and will watch it because based on your review, it seems to be a good watch.

 

Ooh, this post certainly piqued my interest. I remember watching Ethan discussing this movie at some talk show (Ellen, Leno or Conan). I love the storyline you gave here. I'm kind of sick of the usual vampire love story, hee. Thanks for sharing. :)

 

Sounds interesting. I love vampires too. Will be following your blog. THanks for this info.

 

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! =)

Labels